Skip to main content

Helper or Helpee?

When I was younger (So much younger than) so much younger than today
(I never needed) I never needed anybody's help in any way
(Now) But now these days are gone (These days are gone), I'm not so self assured
(I know I've found) Now I find I've changed my mind and opened up the doors

When I was seven I really wanted to be a singer. Specifically a singer in the junior choir at my Church. I would watch the choir in their white gowns , sounding like angels and want nothing more than to be one of them. I wanted it more than anything. I was determined to get to wear the white gown and sing just as sweetly. At first I was told I was too young but when the choir director realized I could read well, I was allowed to attend my very first choir practice. I was so excited! I still remember the song that we learned...”thank you for giving me the morning, thank you for every day that's new...” I was so happy leaving that practice, I had sounded just like an angel too. The next Thursday I went to another rehearsal and I just knew I was a singer now.

Two days later my Mom had to explain to me that I was basically getting kicked out of the choir. I guess “kicked out” is slightly extreme but I was being asked to either leave, get one-on-one lessons or, most humiliating of all, lip sync. I was heart broken. I was so sure that I sounded like Debbie Gibson when I sang, how could I have it so wrong? I still remember sitting in the Church pew the following Sunday and watching “my” choir file in, wearing their white choir gowns and singing “Thank you for music, light and gladness. Thank you for them all.” And I cried. I don't think my family noticed as my sister was in a white gown sounding like an angel after all, but I sat there feeling so inadequate.

Somehow, my little seven year old self became very determined. I spent every free minute of every day, singing (badly!) I would sing along to Heart for hours and then record myself singing the same chorus on my cassette player (my apologies to anyone who at this very minute had to Google both “cassette player” and “Heart”....) “These dreams go on when I close my eyes...” I quickly realized that I what I heard in my head when I sang and what the rest of the world was being forced to hear twere two very different things. As much as I hated to admit it, my choir director was right. I was cats-in-heat, nails-on-a-chalk-board, ears-bleeding bad.

That summer after my 8th birthday taught me a lot of things. First, I learned that I was indeed a terrible singer, tone deaf would be an appropriate description in fact. Second, the bathroom truly does have the best acoustics in the house. Third, practice may not lead to perfect, but it does lead to improvement. By the end of that summer I wasn't sounding spectacular, but I was sounding a little less like Igor trying to sing along to Skidrow and a little more like Phoebe singing “Smelly Cat.” It was progress.

I did go back to choir practice that fall and I'm happy to announce that I did not kicked out or put on lip syncing duty. I sang quietly at first and listened carefully, continuing to practice constantly on my own. I was never going to be Whitney Houston but at least I was less embarrassing and most importantly, I got to wear my very own white gown in front of the church weeks later. (Fun fact: I did proceed to rip that gown a few weeks after that. Sadly, no amount of singing could erase my Lisa-ness.)

What strikes me as odd when I look back on that time, is not my music selections or my obsession with singing (I'm always obsessing over something..) But rather my need to figure it all out ON MY OWN. What kid finds themselves in a sad and disappointing situation and proceeds to just take care of it on their own, asking for no help from adults or friends? I was offered singing lessons and turned it down. My sister was in the choir, I could have asked her for help, and yet I didn't. The stage was already set, wasn't it? I was going to be painfully independent, “don't worry, I've got this” Hawkins, for the rest of my life.

Recently a good friend pointed out to me that I've created a life where I never ask for help so when I need it, no one realizes it. Apparently I've convinced the world (and myself) that I have everything under control and really don't need anyone for anything. And I know that I'm not alone in this. Many of us put on our “badass” persona and make the world believe that we are handling everything just fine. Ne help needed at this time.

It reminds me of a time when I was a kid and broke my foot and refused to have it looked after. I wouldn't see a doctor (until I got tricked into it) and proceeded to refuse any help while it healed. Some will say it's because I'm stubborn, and others will relate it to my fear of hospitals (which is partly true) but my personality really doesn't allow myself to accept help very well. I have hundreds of stories just like that where I clearly needed help and rather than asking for it or even accepting it, I just trudged along on my own.

This behaviour gets you labeled as “tough” or “independent.” You seem impermeable, indestructible. And for me, I think wanting to take care of things on my way, in my own way is built into my personality and not learned behaviour, or “nurturing” for you mental health people. This is clearly marked on my DNA and how I stormed into my little world. “Just relax folks, I've got this” could perhaps be inked onto me somewhere. I realize for others, however, it's a little less innate and a little more “learned.” After years of asking for help and getting shot down, accepting help only to have it thrown in your face, receiving help with the expectation of payback and then some... eventually leading to just taking care of everything, all the time because it was just easier, less painful with less risk.

The irony is that “goin' it alone” isn't strong behaviour at all. One of the hardest things we have to do in life is to ask for help sometimes. In some cases it is for the big stuff; an addiction, a health issue, a fear. In other cases its for much smaller things, like a drive to the garage or accompaniment to a dance. It is hard to put yourself out there and risk rejection. It's also hard to accept help. For me, it's hard for me to wrap my head around the fact that someone could know about a weakness of mine and still want to help me through it. It's almost too humbling to bear.

The positive part of this lifestyle is that I'm completely independent and hold autonomy over how I react to everything that goes on around me. I don't have to trust anyone with anything – ever. I don't exhaust the people around me (well in regards to helping me, I am clearly exhausting in many, many other ways!) and I'm able to give back to the people I love and community I live in quite easily. Unfortunately, the negative parts are becoming more and more evident to me lately.

With no risk, comes no gain... If I don't risk it, actually trust someone with something in my life, will I always be just a little stuck? Plus the longer life goes on where I don't ask people for help or accept help when it's offered means that I create a system whereby I exhaust myself in the giving. I can't even blame anyone for this situation I find myself in, except for myself. I'm more comfortable helping others than being helped (by a long shot!) so it's easier though more detrimental.

When I need help does anyone notice? If I actually muster up the nerve to say it out-loud, does anyone really hear it? When people offer help 20 times and I turn it down, do I have any right to ask for a 21st? Would it matter really or would people just think, “Oh that Lisa is tough as nails, don't worry about her.” It's a terrible cycle really. Not only have I built a life that leaves me playing a superhero in my own life but also I have possibly become someone who can't properly accept help even if I do receive it.

I can assure you that I didn't build this life intentionally, this whole business is only becoming real to me now. I sure wish I had realized this about 10 years ago. I still don’t know if I could have changed a lot but at least I would have been more aware and possibly rethought some of my decisions and forced myself out of my comfort zone. For example, last year when I was hauling a very heavy air conditioner out of my house and 2 separate men stopped to help me. The correct thing to do would have been to accept some much needed assistance. What did I do? I grinned and suggested that I was completely fine while my lower back was screaming, “for pete sakes Hawkins, take the help, take the frigging help!”

I suspect this is partly an issue for us Type A personalities. Sometimes however, it's much bigger than that. It's the kind of thing that harms us physically and emotionally as the bottom inevitably falls out. It's a pace and level of expectation that can only be sustained for so long until life starts unraveling like skin on an onion... we snap at the people we love, we stop sleeping, we avoid the things we usually love, we get sick, we stop recognizing ourselves in the mirror... One way or another, the universe will force us to accept help from others no matter how much we fight it. The key is to keep people around long to be there for those huge, walls-closing-in moments.

I have a prediction and I will eat my shoe if I'm wrong (well my flip flop...) I predict that there is not
one person reading this right now who doesn't need help with something that they haven't mentioned to anyone. By default, that means that we all have people in our lives who need support and/or help right this minute but are staying silent about it.

The thing about letting people help you (and by “you”, I mean “me”), it changes things for the better. You just never forget the people who helped you through the really tough times in life and you never forget the people you were able to help. Sharing a burden not only lessens the load but it also forces you to trust someone with part of you. And is there anything more self-less than putting your own life on hold a for a few minutes to help improve someone else's?


The toughest people you know, aren't always the strongest, they may just be the people who hide their “stuff” best...  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Real Dads Show Up

As my father would say, “there’s no sense saying one thing and meaning another,” visiting your father on Father’s Day at a cemetery puts things in perspective.  That sounds horribly sad and tragic, and although that’s not how I intend it, the process does make you step back and think. As I stood there chatting with my Dad like somehow we were better connected at that location, I realized something. It probably wasn’t necessary for me to have stopped there at all. I think of him every day, in all sorts of locations and for all sorts of reasons. So why do I still feel, years after his death, compelled to stop at the cemetery on big, significant days? I realized it’s because I needed to “show up” for him like he always did for me. It’s like picking a chunk of time and dedicating it only to him. He really was the one that taught me why the act of just “showing up” is so important. There’s no question that losing a parent or a significant other is a gamer changer. There is your life

Like an Octopus to the Face

I am Attachment Barbie.  I really want to be GI Jane Barbie, but sadly I'm not.  I attach for life. It takes a long time for me to attach to someone but when I do, it's like an octopus to the face, I'm there until you manage to pry yourself free. It's not rock 'n roll to be Attachment Barbie. The GI Jane's have the monopoly on the cool factor. I envy those people. The people who legitimately let people go from their lives and are completely OK with it. They aren't putting on some false bravado that they are fine but they truly are cool with severing ties, recognizing that there are some people you just shouldn't or can't keep around forever. They feel the pain and disappointment but are comfortable walking away because, for whatever reason, it is the right thing for them to do. I also believe that the world is made up of Attachment Barbies and GI Jane Barbies. Some will be more extreme than others, but I suspect most of us can see ourselve